ATTENTION EMAIL PURPORTED TO BE FROM THE GOVERNOR OF THE SENTRAL NG PILIPINAS (CENTRAL BANK OF THE PHILIPPINES)
The FBI has become aware of a spam email purporting to be from Amando M. Tetangco, the Governor of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, (Central Bank of the Philippines). The sender claims the recipient is the beneficiary of a large sum of money, free of any liens or encumbrances. The recipient of the email is requested to confirm the following information:
- First and last name
- Direct phone, fax and mobile #
- Your complete residential address
- Age and sex
Once the above is completed, the sender requests the information be sent to his personal email address at mr_tetangco [at] mail.com. However, in the original message text, the email is supposedly from amando [at] bsp.gov.ph, which is Amando Tetangco’s actual email address.
After the victim provides/confirms the above information, they are asked for full bank account information in order to receive a wire transfer or a certified bank draft.
THIS EMAIL IS AN ATTEMPT TO RETRIEVE PERSONAL DATA FOR FRAUDULENT USE. DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.
Be cautious when responding to requests or special offers delivered through unsolicited email:
- Guard your personal information as well as your account information carefully.
- You should never give any personal, credit, or banking information in response to unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious when links are provided in an unsolicited email. It is best to open your browser and type the legitimate or known website address into the address bar.
If you have received this, or a similar hoax, please file a complaint at www.ic3.gov.
Prepared by the
Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
December 11, 2007